Thursday, August 3, 2023

Wave

When I brought Calder downstairs to wait for his chartered bus, an uncle was about to take a seat at the void deck. Calder, who walked faster than me, took a seat opposite the old man and silently gazed at him. Then I joined them and nodded in greeting at the uncle (whom I've never met in the neighborhood). Very soon, the bus arrived and Calder boarded before I could say goodbye. I drew near to the bus window and waved cheerfully at him, hoping he would wave back (something I've been wanting to teach him). Even pointed at my waving hand, hoping he would get the cue. Behind the window, Calder just grinned at me. The bus left and I was still smiling when I turned to walk home. By now, the uncle would have surmised that Calder is no ordinary chap.

Uncle: He's going to school?
Me: He's going to work. 
Uncle: He's your didi (younger brother)?
Me: He's my son 
Uncle: So young?

I must have skipped home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment