Thursday, April 12, 2018

Why help?

When you have special needs in your family, and you see another family in need, it's easy to think:
"I have enough needs of my own, so why should I help?"
On the other hand, you can also think:
"I understand what it is like to be in need, so I will help."

I was without a babysitter on Tuesday, and so was prepared to wait for Ethel to come home around 5pm before bringing both kids to Calder's bowling class (Special Olympics) which starts at 5pm and ends at 7pm. Ethel will need time to shower so I was expecting Calder to reach the bowling alley around 5.45pm. So I texted the bowling parent-group that Calder would be late for the above reason (the journalist in me readily detects potential puzzlement and so I always like to give clear reasons).

On Tuesday morning, I received a text from a fellow parent asking if I'd like her to drive Calder to bowling. Yes, that'd be great. Then Calder wouldn't need to wait for his lane to finish one round of bowling before joining in. And I wouldn't be hurrying Ethel like mad when she comes back.

When Ethel came home, she took some time to discover that Calder was not at home. When she found out that he's on his way to the bowling alley, she asked, "Then why are we in such a hurry?"

"It's because one aunty has two autistic children to take care of, plus a small girl."

It's a miracle of God's provision, deeply appreciated. Not easy a helping hand to extend, because an autistic child like Calder cannot communicate well and who knows what he wants to do? Frankly I'm not sure if I have the confidence to take care of this friend's autistic son like she has volunteered to take care of mine. She is the brave and very kind one.

A special-needs family reaching out to another special-needs family - it is a beautiful gesture that moved my heart.

Thank you, Yvonne.

No comments:

Post a Comment